Welcome to the PORTAL Resources page, where you’ll find links to relevant organizations and research resources related to our mission. If you’d like to see your organization or research featured on this page, contact us.
Hispanic-Serving Organizations in Athens-Clarke County
- Casa de Amistad: provides ESOL and Spanish-language classes for adults, translation/interpretation services, food assistance programs, case management and referral services.
- ALCES (Athens Latino Center for Education & Services): provides bilingual GED preparation classes, ESOL And Spanish-language courses for adults, DACA application assistance, citizenship classes, and bilingual counseling.
- Pinewoods Library: part of the Athens Regional Library System and located in a predominantly Hispanic neighborhood of Athens, the library offers a variety of programs for the entire family.
- Click here to download a complete guide to service-providers in the Athens-Clarke County area that offer Spanish-language services (PDF updated: Dec. 2014)
Research on U.S. Hispanic/Latino Communities
- Cade, Jason A., Enforcing Immigration Equity (July 20, 2015). 84 Fordham Law Review 661 (2015); UGA Legal Studies Research Paper No. 2015-18; Dean Rusk International Center Research Paper No. 2015-03. Abstract and downloadable PDF available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2614149
- Straubhaar, Rolf. (2013). Student use of aspirational and linguistic social capital in an urban immigrant-centered English immersion high school. The High School Journal, 97(2), 92-106. Downloadable PDF available here.
- Straubhaar, Rolf. (2013). North American adult literacy programs and Latin American immigrants: how critical pedagogy can help nonproﬁt literacy programming in the United States. Critical Studies in Education, 54(2):190-202. Downloadable PDF available here.